small sample of my crazy quilt embroidery

About Me

I am a consumate crafter. I knit, quilt both sane and crazy, scrapbook, bead, mosaics and any other thing I can think of along the way. Someday I also hope to do real glass jewelery and stained glass but those have to wait until I have room and more time.

Friday, April 4, 2008

Same old-Same Old....


I feel guilty for not sticking to my weekly blogging schedule. I feel guilty for not having anything to blog about more. Face it, right now my life is boring. Even to me. But this stray from someones garden was blooming so brightly the other day that I just had to stop and snap it's picture. I am guessing it was from last year's radish or broccoli crop that went to seed. I love when life is so boring that I have time to stop and notice what I would not have seen otherwise. So boring is alright with me. As long as it does not go on for too much longer!!

Because I am devoted to 2 of the most time consuming knitting projects known to man, my knitting for the week is probably going to bore you also. Audry II is still coming along on schedule. I usually set my goal at 2 rows a week and usually I get a bit more done than that. I have also managed to get one dyeing session in a week. Any more than that just makes to much mess and I run out of good ideas. This week's dyeing was fairly good. I got the idea to make a base yarn of medium grey and then put little spots of bright colors randomly so they just show up as 2 or 3 stitches at a time against the grey. I kind of got what I wanted with the colors. The grey was fine and the brights were still bright enough to be seen after the overdyeing. I realized when I was almost done that somehow the blue I had mixed and used once got set aside and never used again. And it was such a pretty color in the end product-oh well. And the bits of color really needed to be placed closer together but again this is still a learning process. I also overdyed more of the beige/cream/grey On-Line yarn that I used before. I overdyed 1-8g skein with purple, 1 with yellow and then dyed a little bit bigger skein with a combo of 2 different dark oranges. First I mixed a very dilute sun yellow with a touch of dilute vermillion both leftover from dyeing the grey yarn. I soaked about 1/3 of the skein in that for about 15 minutes. I wasn't all that thrilled with the color but I decided to muck on. So I took and dyed the other 2/3 with the same mixture only with the rest of the leftover vermillion mixed in. I kept that in the dye for another 15 minutes. I still didn't think I liked the colors until after they dried and I fell in love with them. It is the prettiest bittersweet colorway. The grey & beige in the original yarn became lovely variegations over the 2 shades of burnt orange. My only regret is not making the skein long enough so the 2 orange shades could be actual stripes. I will be doing this yarn again for sure after I get in more of the On-Line next week. Some I will use for a trade and the rest I will keep. Of course I don't feel the pictures do this yarn justice. I am just going to have to invest in better lighting if I want these pictures to represent the real thing.














I am also progressing on the Aran Cardigan. I am finding that doing 2 sleeves at once on Magic Loop gets easier as you go along. I am above the elbow now with the sleeves and figure at this pace to be able to connect the sleeves to the body sometime during this next week. And then I might actually think to take current pictures. For some reason those sleeves have been camera shy and stay hidden in my knitting basket every time I get out the camera.


My DH has gotten completely over his vertigo issues and has progressed on to having a end of winter head cold. He doesn't seem to have caught a very bad case of it, having no real sore throat, head or body aches. But his runny nose is up to snuff!!!!OK bad pun but it fits. I am sure glad that he has plenty of time to get over this before his surgery in just 10 more days. And I am making him keep his distance cause I sure don't want to share even a mild cold with him.


DH also made a wild decision to at least look into moving to northern Alabama instead of southern Tennessee. The price of gas is so high that either he would pay a fortune for gas to drive to work or give up driving and retire(not my choice of options). The advantage of Tennessee was the retirement income tax breaks but Alabama is not that bad for taxes and the savings from not using so much gas should easily offset that. So now a whole new bunch of houses are available to look at and I am going to get started on that tonight. I think we are both getting antsy to make this move and now that the surgery looms so near, we can start gearing up again. And this makes a perfect place for me to make my exit for the week. So I will leave you with a pic of Lexi enjoying Audry II. Of course I was wanting to actually knit on her at that particular time. But you know kittens.......it is all about them!!

No comments: