What an awesome day outside. It is bright and breezy and balmy!! What a change from our 12 degree weather we had earlier this week. I wanted to find something springy to take a picture of but try as I might there is still not any real evidence that spring is just around the corner. Maybe by next week the Bradford pears will start to show bud or my first brave daffodil will pop up its head. But for now the best I can do is pics of Madison's finished Wallaby sweater.
I have now made this sweater twice. A few of the things I did differently on this sweater are that I did spit splicing of the yarn. Will I do it again? I am not sure. I am still very nervous that the splices will not hold especially on a blend yarn. I spliced fairly long grafts to help hold and now all I can do is pray that this sweater designed to be worn by a very active little girl will hold up during normal wear and tear. I also used much smaller needles to knit the last stitches under the arms before placing them on holders to be grafted later. This I will do again as my underarms look better than the last by far. I am contemplating doing this sweater again right away for me in wool. I am toying with the idea of making a cable go up the raglan seam and also where the garter stitch is now on the placket and up around the hood. I have a plan in place for even making the cable go all the way around the edge of the hood despite my use of a gusset to shape the hood. I will probably go with using Cascade in a dark color, maybe a black tweed I saw. If I have time tomorrow morning I may stop at Carol's Knitting Studio to check out the colors available. Maddie's sweater is now blocking out in the gusty wind so maybe it will dry fast and I can get both sweaters boxed up and in the mail this week.
I had a great day at our local quilt show Saturday. I bought some fat quarters. How could I not?? I bought a few new polka dots, some civil war repos to use in my frinedship star blocks and a few 30's fabrics. I also spent a big chunk of change on some Shiva paintsticks and some preprinted muslin post card backs. I really want to make some fabric post cards despite the fact that I have almost no imagination!! I sure wish I had some of the creativity that my friend Carol has. Of course her creativity cost her quite a bit more at the same booth as she bought a "bunch" of Angelina fibers to play with!!
Well enough of my musings for today. I have gotten all my fun chores done and must go do the less fun stuff before heading out to work for the week. Hopefully we will be less crazy at work this week and I can get more progress done on sock #2 of the Chain Links so I can move on to some more colorful socks that are just waiting in the wings to be made!!