small sample of my crazy quilt embroidery

About Me

I am a consumate crafter. I knit, quilt both sane and crazy, scrapbook, bead, mosaics and any other thing I can think of along the way. Someday I also hope to do real glass jewelery and stained glass but those have to wait until I have room and more time.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The New Me!!


It has been a whole week now since I have been unemployed and the routine is setting in. I am trying so very hard to be better at the mundane housekeeping chores and being a good cat momma. I am working at being a more productive knitter and of course trying to do at least some quilting. I am enjoying the ability to get 8 hours of sleep every night and I feel my health is really improving because of it. A lot of my time is still being taken up by the packing for our move. So I guess you could say I have transitioned quite well to my new lifestyle.


I do have to say there is one downside to being retired. I don't get to see alot of other human beings during the day. And when DH gets home he is not the most interactive person on the planet. But luckily this week I got to go back up to the city to see Carol, my dearest quilting/knitting friend and go to the OKC quilt show. Now the last few shows I felt like I had to run thru to get to work on time. I would shop and see the quilts in about 1 hr. So I felt pretty good about having all the time in the world, and guess what? We saw the show and shopped in a whopping 1 and 1/2 hr!! This show may just be put on to often to have alot to see and neither of us needed to shop much so why linger. There were a few great quilts to see but most were ordinary and most were machine quilted. We both still love the beauty of hand quilting and appreciate anyone who still makes the effort. My favorite quilt in the show was the Kimono Crazy Quilt although I never got back to vote for it as "Best of Show". I also loved the quilts by former Lawtonian, Cindy Squyres. She had several show stoppers entered and I think they both won ribbons. Yeah Cindy!!


I have been somewhat productive in my knitting this week. I did an awful lot of knitting and ripping while trying to work on my scrap rug out of Cascade. I think I am just going to let it lie for awhile and use the Cascade for other projects. But I was determined to make something felted and so I am making the Kitty Pi basket for my babies to sleep in during the day. I did not have enough Cascade 220(hard to imagine) so I ran to Hobby Lobby and bought cheap(NOT) Lion Brand Wool in 2 colors to hold together instead of using bulky yarn. I only bought 5 balls because it seemed so expensive but already I need to go buy at least 2 more skeins to finish the project. But I think it is turning out great and it is a cool project to work on. It is based on EZ's Pi shawl pattern where you knit contiguous wedges to form the bottom circle. It made me want to see her pattern for the shawl but for some reason I can not find my copy of Knitter's Almanac but I am sure it is here somewhere under all the mess and packing boxes. I should be able to finish up with the bed and get it felted by this weekend and I am sure the kitties will be fighting over it in no time so I am sure another one will be in the works by next week.


I also made it past the heel on my Cable/Rib socks and managed to get the pattern written down on the computer. I know I can understand what I have written and making the 2nd sock will be no problem for me but it is not something I can put out for others to use until I go back over it and standardize the dialog to what other pattern writers put out. But the sock is pretty and I need to get going on it because my stash of other sock yarn is calling out to me as is some of my sweater stash. It is saying...Central Park Hoodie....Central Park Hoodie........!!
Well other than looking on line for a new house and researching our summer trip to Disney World, all is quiet and calm. The weather is supposed to be back to winter starting tomorrow so I will have plenty of good cozy knitting time over the next few days. So until next week, keep crankin out the woolies!!

No comments: