small sample of my crazy quilt embroidery

About Me

I am a consumate crafter. I knit, quilt both sane and crazy, scrapbook, bead, mosaics and any other thing I can think of along the way. Someday I also hope to do real glass jewelery and stained glass but those have to wait until I have room and more time.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Long Time in Coming

Isn't this a cute picture of Jack?? It seems knitting just exhausts him and he had to take a snooze after only a few rows on my current sock project!! But he does like magic loop and toe-up construction cause he can stop at any time and not worry about what he did with his needles!!
Unfortunately this sock did not stay on the needles much longer than it took to make this picture. I got just far enough to try it on and realize it was running a bit small. Which is too bad cause it was all cables and a way lot of work in just the few inches I got knit. And this was version 2 of this sock. Version 1 got knit quite a bit further and was way to tight. I have decided this yarn is just too thin to be knit on my size 0 circular so I will not restart till I get my act together and order a size 1, Addi turbo lace needle. Meanwhile I have plenty of other projects to keep myself more than occupied.
You may have completely forgotten about my aran cardigan I started last winter. It was intended to be a saddle shoulder design ala Elizabeth Zimmerman. I marched thru the body, trudged thru doing 2 sleeves at once on magic loop, I connected body and arms and sailed thru the yoke to find I did not like how it looked at all. So I frogged and reknit with some minor changes hoping to be happier with the end result. But no-not happy at all. So it sat all summer waiting for me to finish up other things and come back fresh to fix the fit problems. So I ripped out to the arm join once again and made the decision to take the easy way out and make her a raglan. Trusty, easy raglan. I still worked with EZ's basic raglan instructions which differ from book to book. I kind of took the middle ground each time her advice differed. I tried it on alot in the last few inches and thought it fit pretty well. Then came the scary part where I had to cut thru my very first steek. I read everything I could on steeks and made the bold decision to not reinforce my steeks cause they were plenty wide and I had knit with good sticky wool. So I just cut. Then time to pick up stitches for the buttonband. The steek edge never ravelled more than just into the first real stitch and I have handled it pretty roughly with picking up stitches and now having knit on the button band. I still may go back and crochet a row just inside the buttonband. Then wash the sweater and then trim up close to the crochet. Once it is washed the first time the yarn should felt itself just enough to not allow for any further ravelling. So all that is left to finish is to sew up the underarms, weave in ends, place the buttons and shorten the sleeves. Then I will block it and take a much better pic. Beleive me, I have tried this beauty on and it looks much better on me than in this photo.
I also finished up with some socks knit for a friend going thru chemo. These are simple garter rib, toe up socks made with Austermann Step yarn. It is very soft and the yardage is very ample. I did a garter stitch top instead of my usual ribbing and I very much liked the effect. I am hoping they fit her well and can warm her feet along with her heart while she sits for long hours of chemo.
Of course I have been dyeing since my last post. I did some indigo but since there are no pics to show I won't elaborate. I will do my best to get some pics taken and make a post all by itself. But I did get a pic of some wonderful brown obtained by just using some very immature pecans. I was under the impression that ripe hulls would naturally give more color. But several wonderful more experienced dyers filled me in on the secret. GO GREEN. So the other day after a good rain storm I found about 10 young pecans on the street. Into my pocket they went. I threw them into water, simmered for about 20 minutes and then let it sit a day. After straining I threw in some yarn and simmered for another 20 minutes. The little bit of yarn was dyed first in concentrated stock. It is a gorgeous dark brown with reddish overtones. The bigger bit of yarn was done with a slightly diluted stock and except for a littel lighter tone it is just as wonderful. I can't wait til I can dye up a much bigger batch of this awesome color.
The best news of this post is all about the house. It is finally really sold. That is the people who signed the contract to buy ours have sold theirs. Well as long as their home inspection goes well which with all my friends saying extra prayers for me, is a sure thing!! So hopefully next post I will be in real moving mode. And of course since my knitting travels with me I can always tell tales from the road!!

1 comment:

Mary Lynn said...

Yes, Anne, those socs very much did warm my heart--and they fit perfectly.
Mary Lynn