small sample of my crazy quilt embroidery

About Me

I am a consumate crafter. I knit, quilt both sane and crazy, scrapbook, bead, mosaics and any other thing I can think of along the way. Someday I also hope to do real glass jewelery and stained glass but those have to wait until I have room and more time.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Random Snippets of Color


While so many suffered the wrath of Hurricane Ike last week, this beautiful sunset was all we had to endure. Both DH and I sat out in the backyard for about half an hour just soaking in the glory. Then I thought of actually taking a picture and went and grabbed the camera. Still not bad for the very last second.This amazing beauty has been in abundance in the zinna bed this last week. They are incredibly hard to photograph cause they are always in motion and don't trust humans with little black boxes hanging from their necks(cameras). And of course my only good pic is one where the zinna was in horrible shape, way past it's prime!!
This bountiful basket of yarns is already in the process of becoming a sweater. It is all fingering weight and hand dyed with natural materials. It is 75% wool/25% nylon, intended for sock knitting. But at 8 stitches per inch it is also perfect for a nice light weight fine gauge garment such as the Mismatched Stripes sweater by Fiona Ellis, shown in the Spring 2004 issue of Interweave knits. Once I started dyeing my own yarn it was easy to come up with the 8 coordinating colors needed for this design. I used cream(barely dyed with an exhausted walnut dye), pale pink(cochineal exhaust), medium pink(cochineal), red(very strong cochineal), maroon(cochineal overdyed with walnut), brown(walnut), tan(walnut exhaust with a very slight contamination with cochineal), and spruce(black hollyhock). In just a week I have managed to crank out the back for this sweater. I did have to make some design adjustments but I think I will save those explanations for when I have the actual sweater to show you.

Our move is still progressing a bit slow. The buyer has had a few minor hang-ups with his buyers but he let us know today that all is still well. So it may still be at least 3 weeks before we can hit the road. But we are feeling like we see the light at the end of the tunnel. Yesterday we went out for a final hiking trip in the Wichita Mountains Wild Life Refuge. And with that I am going to close out this post so I can make another post dedicated totally to the amazing pics we were able to get on what had to be a perfect fall weather day. Stay tuned cause that post should follow in pretty quick order-Ciao

No comments: