It seems that I can not make anything only once. I can not start something and knit it thru to the end without ripping it out and re-doing. This is the 3rd time for the Alpaca sweater. First I knit the body with the Chickknits lacy cardigan and didn't like it for reasons explained in prior blogs. Then I knit one sleeve with the lacy design and really really didn't like it. I then knit a plain sleeve using the Knitter's Handy book of patterns, thought I had it the way I wanted until I got to 17" and decided it was a tad bit to fitted. So I ripped again and now I finally have a sleeve about 1/3 of the way up that I am sure will work. Then I can do another without to much headache. Of course I still have to do a body and that could be frogged another time or 2 I expect!!! Part of my problem was that my gauge was not 5 stitches per inch like I thought but maybe more like 5 1/3 stitches per inch. It would have been alright if I was not aiming for a fairly fitted design but I did not have a lot of room to play with the size I was making. Luckily the Alpaca is holding up well to lots of frogging and knitting!!! If I get this done I will at least have a master sweater design for any Misty Alpaca, worsted weight!! I did actually get some productive knitting time in this week. I progressed on the 2nd chain link socks to the mid foot area. All the gussett decreases are done and I only need about 2" of plain knitting before the solo chain on the foot which is right before the toe decreases. I should hopefully get this sock done this week. They ought to be giving hints about the next KAL sock soon. I hope it is something I would like to use my Regia Bamboo color yarn on. Also I got 2 washcloths done while at work this week. I am starting to use more girly colors as DSIL is almost ready to come back from Iraq and I will probably not send him anymore bath supplies. The last thing they need to do is drag extra stuff home on the plane!!
The weather has been up and down all week. Saturday was to die for with clear skies, 70+ degrees and almost no wind. The Bradford pears are blooming and the early daffodils are in full glory. My redbud tree is just minutes away from being awash in purple glory. This redbud grew from a tiny seedling in my garden and I transplanted it to my front yard about 8 years ago. Then the neighbor kids accidently backed over it playing football and broke it off near the ground. When it grew back it became multi-trunked which I actually like. This will be the first year it should bloom very well and I am anxious to see it in full regalia. Sunday was very rainy all day with about 1.5 inches of rain falling on much needed dry ground. It was a real worm strangling rain. I should know since I had to walk around all the dead worms on my walk thru the neighborhood this morning!! Many of my perennials are starting to green up and I have some of my other bulbs wanting to bloom so many pictures over the next few weeks will be uploaded here for all to enjoy.
My news on the home front this week is very good. Brooke has been trying to get into nursing school for sometime and was on the waiting list for the next class starting in the fall. She got notified early Tuesday that she has made it in and she was beside herself with joy. She deserves this as she has worked hard since she made the decision to go back to school. Of course I have never seen her fail once she sets her mind to something. She is a force to be rekoned with once she has her mind made up!! So in 2 years I should finally have someone else in the family who understands all my medical talk and hopefully won't be to bored by it all.