small sample of my crazy quilt embroidery

About Me

I am a consumate crafter. I knit, quilt both sane and crazy, scrapbook, bead, mosaics and any other thing I can think of along the way. Someday I also hope to do real glass jewelery and stained glass but those have to wait until I have room and more time.

Monday, May 28, 2007

What A Suprise!!

Friday night I was in my apartment relaxing, having a glass of wine and reading my book. Pretty laid back for being on call. I was expecting a very boring night and weekend. Oh but then my cell phone rings. Unusual in itself but even more unusual when I hear DS's voice. He says "I've got bad news" "Guess where I am?" What is a person to think so I said-"In jail?" or "In the hospital?" Luckily my first instincts were not correct. I never could have guessed in a million years. He was in Dallas where he had flown to see an old girl friend. They had rekindled an on-line romance or so he thought. But when he got there it was not how it was at all and the whole thing didn't feel comfortable for either of them. So she asked him to go elsewhere and of course the only persons who could rescue him was us. So Dad went down and got him and brought him home. I got to come home Sunday night and have had today with him. Dad takes him back to the Dallas airport tomorrow after I leave for work. It was a short visit but ok when they were not arguing politics at the top of their lungs.

With all the other goings-on this weekend I did not get much crafting in. I did kind of work on Maddies birthday card and bought the elastic for Katie's PJ's. But that is all the little stuff I got done. On a more productive note, I finished the body of the shawl and started with the edging. It took a couple of tries to get the hang of knitting on the border but I think I have it now. I am actually doing it a little differently but it looks good so I am happy. They had you joining the border to the body on the purl side but I like doing it better on the knit side. My only concern is that I will not have enough yarn. I am so tempted to take out 4 repeats of the main pattern which will make it 1 border repeat shorter on each side. But how can I know for sure so I am going to trust my original calculations. I wouldn't be sweating so much but this yarn is completely not available anywhere anymore for any price. So if I get to the end and it is not enough I will have to take out considerable work in order to have enough yarn for the entire border. But oh well-I have taken out major amounts of work before so why not now??Only time will tell. I have the 2 biggest balls of yarn left to try and finish the border. Any one a betting person? Maybe we can start a pool?? So far the pattern has not been that hard although it required a trip to Michael's to buy a magnetic line minder and a stand to place the pattern on. Otherwise I went blind and crazy trying to not get lost. Now it is a breeze although never something I will be able to memorize. I did start toe up socks this week and although I loved the method I will probably rip them all the way out. The Louet's sock yarn is not very generous and will not make very long socks so I think I can use the yarn for a nice baby sweater set instead. But not to be without sock yarn as I bought a new skein of Opal at Carol's Knit Studio on Saturday. Plus there is a new new sock pattern ready to be posted on June 1 on the KAL. They are calling for a solid yarn and I have several options already purchased and I just have to wait and see the pattern to see how it speaks to me.
Other than that I did a bit of reading this week. I am about 2/3 of the way thru my current book "The Fiery Cross". Lately Jamie and Claire have been spared any bodily injury and instead Son in Law Roger has been getting pummelled. So far he has been hung and lived, and then almost burnt alive. Claire and Jamie have just survived being struck by lightening and all Brie has had to do was keep the home fires burning!! Till next week then......

No comments: