small sample of my crazy quilt embroidery

About Me

I am a consumate crafter. I knit, quilt both sane and crazy, scrapbook, bead, mosaics and any other thing I can think of along the way. Someday I also hope to do real glass jewelery and stained glass but those have to wait until I have room and more time.

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Topsail and Away


I know I have missed the last few days. But honestly it was just every day life and I can bore you enough with my most exciting days. But today we got the itch to hit the beach so we headed out early with all our gear and headed towards the sunset. Sunset Beach N Carolina that is. But we kind of got sidetracked by some really bad state route signs after we left Wilmington and before we knew it we were back at Topsail Island. Oh well-aren't all beaches alot alike?? We had about had all the time in the car we could stand so we picked the first public access pull off we could find, hauled our chairs, boogie boards, towels and Subway sandwiches up over the dunes. And we were not disappointed. The tide must have just about been at it's highest point when the girls first braved the waves. I can tell you the first time you see your little granddaughters dive into a wave that is way over their heads and come up on the other side it takes your breath away-completely!! They are fearless. The pics I took can not do their deeds justice in any way. They had about an hour of these crashing breakers and then they slowly moderated until even I could keep my feet when they hit us!! We played in the water, dug holes and built sandcastles, looked for shells and did everything but sit down for 4 hrs. When the sunscreen finally started to fail and my legs could no longer keep me up in the most gentle waves it was time to head home. The girls protested of course but were asleep before we left the island. I would love to come spend a few days in one of the amazing beach condo rentals just so I could be able to walk on the beach early in the morning and late at night. Maybe for our anniversary this coming fall. I did manage to finish up the socks I was knitting. The first ones from yarn I dyed myself. So I thought I would whip out a pair for Maddy to wear on her birthday when we go bowling. She is a kid right? And her socks should not have to be that big right? Well wrong. I measured and her feet are barely smaller than mine. She could actually wear the ones I just finished except they are about 1/2" to long. But I am well into the foot of the first sock for her and I probably won't make them all that tall. This yarn is one of the new Opals I bought this week in Wilmington and it is striping out with a very well defined fair isle effect. I have never been lucky enough before to have any yarn really look this fair isle so all I can figure is that with the very slightly fewer stitches I am using it just matches the way the yarn was dyed perfectly. I am going to try a Fleegle heel this time since so many people are talking about how they like the fit and it supposedly has no holes anywhere in the heel like in any wrapped turn method.

The girls just have 3 more days of school and they are so excited about that. Thursday hopefully we will be fully recovered from our sunburns and sore muscles so that we can head back to the beach. I am not sure which one yet but I am sure with the quality of all the beaches here in North Carolina it will be a good one and we will have a great time!! Just don't count on the road signs to get you there!! Awwwww-do we have to come in??


No comments: